As the monsoon gets over, with clearer skies, the holiday season kicks off during October in India. With festivals like Dusshera and national holidays like Gandhi Jayanti falling this month, October is the perfect time to visit most of the parts of India as it’s neither too hot, nor too cold and foggy and the rains are rare. If you are looking for destinations in India to be visited in October, we present to you the top holiday options for October in India:
1. Kutch, Gujarat.
Kutch lies in the westernmost part of India and it shares a boundary with Pakistan. With deserts, oasis, beaches, heritage palaces, delicious food, religious temples, wildlife sanctuaries, etc. all in the same district, Bhuj including Kutch is one of the few destinations in India that offers almost everything. Kachch looks even more surreal on full-moon nights with light falling on the white salt desert. The beauty of the place and pleasant weather makes it one of the best places to visit in India in October.
- Places to visit: gr8 runn of kutchh, kala dungar, shyamji krishna varma smarak
- Things to do: kutch museum, mandavi beach, narayan sarovar.
2. Lahaul & Spiti, Himachal.
The fact that you can only travel to Lahaul & Spiti before the onset of winter makes them the best place to travel in October in India. Enjoy the wide and variety of flora and fauna found in Pin Valley National Park, catch the breathtaking view of the Milky Way galaxy lying under stars, and take the challenge of completing the Spiti Trek all at Lahaul & Spiti. Because nothing is as beautiful as the unscathed beauty of nature.
- Places to visit: Chandratal and Suraj Tal, Pin Valley National Park, Ki & Kaza, Dhankar, Tabo Monasteries, and Kunzum Pass
- Things to do: Spiti trek, river rafting in Pin and Spiti rivers, write a post to your family/friends from the highest post office in Hikkim, try local grape wine in Ribba, explore the flora and fauna in Pin Valley National Park, camp at Chandratal, and lay hands on sea fossils in Langza.
3. Hampi, Karnataka.
One of the 32 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India, Hampi was the capital of the Vijayanagar Empire in the 13th century with magnificent temples and architectural wonders. The city is in ruins now, but it serves as one of the most interesting places in India to hang out with good weather and ambiance to spend some time away from the cities. If you’re looking for a quick getaway from Bengaluru for a weekend in October, Hampi is only an overnight train ride away.
- Places to visit: vithala temple complex, matanga hills, Tugabhadra river.
- Things to do ; archaeological museum, hanuman temple, Hampi Bazaar.
4. Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
If you are still fiddling with the thought of visiting best tourist places in India in October, Jodhpur is the answer. Number 3 on our list of most colorful places in India, it is a city that is characterized by museums, vibrant colors, traditions, weapons, paintings, and the never ending history of the Rajputs.
When in Jodhpur, take the desert safari and play by the sand dunes as you ride your favorite SUVs. The finely scattered sun rays playing along the contours of sand make a pleasant sight as you contain every bit your mesmerizing trip at one of the preferred places to visit in October in India.
- Places to visit: Mehrangarh Fort, Jaswant Thada, Umaid Bhawan Palace, and Mandore Gardens
- Things to do: Dine at Indique Restaurant and Pal Haveli (breathtaking sunset view is complimentary), relish Makhani Lassi at Mishrilal Hotel, make a wish at Jaswant Thada, and experience desert safari.
5. Pachmarhi, Madhya Pradesh
The queen of Satpura is one of the most popular hill stations and also a primary holiday destination in India in October. Sitting pretty at an altitude of 1100 meters above sea level, Pachmarhi lies beautifully entangled amid lush green nature, ancient caves, and waterfalls exuding beads of life.
Don’t forget to keep it on the bucket list of your favorite locations when you are shortlisting the most beautiful places to visit in India in October.
- Places to visit: Handi Khoh, Apsara Vihar (fairy pool), and Pandava and Jatashankar Caves
- Things to do: Go for a nature walk, listen to the soothing splash of water at Rajat Pratap waterfall, and catch the sunrise exclusively from Hathi Shikhar located at 1359 meters.
6. Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh
Perfect for an off-beat holiday, Ziro is a small town in eastern part of Arunachal Pradesh. Surrounded by hills on the sides with lush green paddy fields in the town, Ziro is mostly inhabited by the Apa Tani Tribes.
If you missed the Ziro music festival in September, and want to see what is this beautiful hidden gem that everyone is talking about, October holidays are the right time to visit Ziro with monsoon season over and winters just starting to set in.
- Places to visit: Itanagar, Lilabari, kaziranga national park, Dhemaji
- Things to do: Tarin fish farm, Pine grove, Talley valley Sanctuary, Shiv Linga.
7. Manas National Park, Assam
One of the first reserves dedicated to the tiger conservation project started way back in 1973, Manas National park has come a long way and today it boasts of biosphere reserve spanning 2837 sq km. Official number states that there are close to 60 Royal Bengal Tigers but a sighting it never guaranteed unless you spend some time in the park.
Apart from animals, the bird life in the park is also notable and bird watching is another preferred activity there. Manas National Park must be there on your list of best tourist places to visit in October in India.
- Places to visit: Bansbari Tea Plantation, Bodo Society in the park, which boasts of a rich culture of textile, handloom, and music
- Things to do: Boat ride to summer palace of king of Bhutan, river rafting, elephant ride, try finding a wild water buffalo, jungle safari, and bird watching.